Pastor Andrew’s Devotion 5th June (Friday)
John 16:13-14 But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. 14 He will bring glory to me by taking from what is mine and making it known to you.
Jesus promised to send us the Spirit of truth (knowledge) to guide the Church and us individual Christians. We believe that the Holy Spirit has led the Church to crystalize the most essential truths in the Apostles’ Creed. But He also guides us in our life as Christians
What are some moments the Holy Spirit has opened my eyes to the truths of Scripture? Such moments came after dwelling on the Scriptures.
• When I was in Form 1 and 2 doing Bible correspondence course, my heart was opened to receive the stories of the Bible. If I was asked whether I believe, my answer would be a “yes.”
• After I have accepted Christ, during Form 5 I was doing my devotion on Genesis (Abraham) and Galatians using Scripture Union notes, my eyes were opened to the truth about justification by faith. I was thrilled to grasp this truth.
• After Form 5, when a Youth Worker led us to study how Paul cared for his converts in 1 Thessalonians, my heart was fired up to care for new Christians.
• When I was a new Pastor I was baffled with the Lord’s promise “I am with you.” If He is with me why doesn’t He show up so that I can do His ministry? I learned that He shows up whenever I obey Him to do His ministry.
• It took me a while to understand what it means to be a child of God. Later I understand why John is so overwhelmed with excitement with that thought (See 1 John 3:1). This has been a most liberating truth.
If we pursue knowledge and wisdom, then “wisdom will enter your heart, and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul. 11 Discretion will protect you, and understanding will guard you.” Proverbs 2:10
What are some truths the Holy Spirit has taught you?